Come Visit The Mustang Success Center!
Mustang Success Center
Front Office | Building 52 Room D37
Monday-Thursday 10 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Friday | 10 A.M. - 4 P.M.
First year students, please start by reviewing the First Year Advising Canvas to search for answers to your questions
Check us out on Instagram @MustangSuccessCenter and YouTube
Need to talk to an advisor?
Virtual Academic Advising Drop-Ins | For First Year Freshmen
Virtual Academic Advising Drop-Ins are suggested for the following type of questions:
- Registration support
- One quarter schedule planning
- Interpretation of university policy (CR/NC, Grades, Leaves, Withdrawals, etc.)
- Check-in or follow-up with the same advisor from a recent appointment (within last 2-3 weeks)
- Referrals to campus resources
- Questions regarding ASSIST.org (transferring courses from community college)
- Change of major information
- Year 2+ and transfer students need to contact your college advising center
Directions on how to join virtual academic advising drop ins
- Sign-in to the queue
- Click the zoom link shared in the response page of the sign-in form
- Wait in the zoom waiting room for an advisor to become available
- Once admitted to the zoom room, our front desk supervisor will ask you some basic questions to make sure you get connected to the right person
- Be assigned to a breakout room with an advisor
In Person Office Hours (20 minutes) | Not available November 13-24, 2023
During busy registration times of the quarter, in-person office hours are not offered in efforts to help as many students as we can via virtual drop-ins (specific dates are November 13-24). During these days, please use our virtual academic advising drop-ins.
If you are sick or not feeling well, please use virtual advising rather than in-person office hours.
Email and Phone
You are welcome to email or call our office with questions you have. We do our best to respond to all emails and voicemails within 1 business day.
Email us at email@example.com
Phone 805-756-6211 *utilizing our virtual academic advising via Zoom is the preferred way to speak directly to an advisor (and quicker). Please see our available hours listed above.
Please ensure that your email is sent from your Cal Poly email account. This allows us to verify your student status and check your academic record when appropriate. This also lessens the chance of your email getting lost.
Zoom Tips and Tricks
- Download the free Zoom app with your Cal Poly login information.
- You must have the app downloaded to your computer or phone. Using just the web browser will not allow you to meet privately with an advisor.
- Test the Zoom app with your Cal Poly login information.
- Mac user ensure that you can privacy settings are set to share screen. View more information about screen share.
Other Advising resources
First Year Advising Canvas
As you begin your journey at Cal Poly, you will encounter new academic requirements, deadlines, policies, and procedures. In this Canvas, you will find information about the most common topics that first year students ask academic advisors about. Review the First year Advising Canvas any time you have a question. If you cannot find your answers, contact an academic advisor in the Mustang Success Center.
Athletics Academic Advising
Student-Athlete Academic Services, Mott Learning Center, Mott Athletic Center, Room 205.
The Mott Learning Center facility is open until 7:00pm Monday-Thursday, and until 4:00pm on Friday throughout the quarter. Go to Student-Athlete Academic Services
Change of Major
We encourage all students to review our change of major website prior to talking to an advisor. This ensures that you come with a list of questions for us to help you with.
Understanding the registration process can be complex. Here is a review of how the registration process works at Cal Poly
Schedule Builder Tutorials
Schedule builder will help you review class times, check prerequisites, build and save multiple schedules, and register for classes. These tutorial videos will show you how to search for classes, build schedules, add, swap, waitlist, and more.
Taking a class at a California Community College or out of state institution
Come Visit us at the mustang success center